Thyroid is a gland which secrets thyroid hormone. This hormone is responsible for regulating metabolism and other important body functions. Symptoms of thyroid disease will be noticed if there is an hormonal imbalance which indicates that the gland is not functioning properly.
Apart from the problem of improper hormone secretion, thyroid structural abnormalities may also occur which can be benign or malignant. Diagnosis of the underlying problems include blood tests, imaging, and biopsy. Treatments of thyroid diseases varies depending upon the kind of disease that has affected the patient.
What are the Different Types of Thyroid Disease?
Hypothyroidism occurs when thyroid is underactive or if regulators of thyroid fails to function properly. This ailment occurs as a result of the following:
1. Hashimoto’s thyroiditis or autoimmune thyroiditis
2. Acute thyroiditis
3. Postpartum thyroiditis (an inflammation over the thyroid gland particularly after pregnancy)
4. Thyroid hormone resistance
5. Silent thyroiditis
6. Side effects of certain drugs that disrupts thyroid function
An individual is diagnosed with hyperthyroidism when his or her thyroid becomes overactive or if the regulators of thyroid stimulates it to secret too much hormone. Given below are some causes of hyperthyroidism:
1. Graves’ disease
2. Toxic nodule “hot” nodule
3. Hashit oxicosis
4. Toxic multinodular goiter
5. Medications (ingesting thyroid hormone)
6. Excessive intake of iodine
This disease occurs due to enlargement of the thyroid gland. Following are some conditions responsible for causing goiter:
3. Thyroid tumors
4. Excessive iodine intake
What is Thyroid Surgery?
This is a kind of surgical procedure that is used to treat a number of thyroid diseases such as hyperthyroidism, thyroid cancer, thyroid nodules, and a lot more. It is performed by removing partial or complete thyroid gland. During the surgery an incision is made over the skin and muscles and tissues are pulled aside to expose the gland.
Why is this surgery performed?
This surgery is performed if:
1. Thyroid cancer is detected or suspected
2. A noncancerous or benign nodule is bigger in size and is responsible for causing problems with breathing or swallowing
3. A fluid-filled (cystic) nodule returns after being drained once or twice
4. Medications or radioactive iodine fails to cure hyperthyroidism
There are several medical clinics in Singapore that offers a wide range of treatments for recovering different types of thyroid diseases. It is essential to choose a reputed clinic or getting proper treatments at cost effective rates. Thus, it is recommended that one should surf internet well for finding the best centers in Singapore.
Article Ref.: http://goarticles.com/article/9308020